Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reminiscence

In the last few days I have been bombarded with memories! Thanks to cyber space I have reconnected with old friends mostly from my music days in Canada. "Those were the days my friends. . . ." has been my mantra. So many years ago and SO much music. It has me thinking about how music never dies, it fades a bit but it never dies!

A good friend of mine from many years gone by sent some lyrics for me read to read. As I read, so many other songs began popping up, all pertaining to the same basic thought. And, of course, that lead me to thinking about other lyrics that pertain to other aspects of life, etc., etc, etc. The next thing I know, I am thinking about the past in terms of lyrics of songs. . . when my kids were really little (not that I EVER regret staying home to raise them, but upon the odd time I found myself missing the old "band" days) "such are the dreams of the everyday housewife. . . ." (Glen Camble) And the lost loves in my life. . ."strumming my pain with his fingers, singing my life with his words".....(Killing Me Softly, Roberta Flack) Then the recovery (possibly from both?) "let it be, let it be, let it be , let it be! Whisper words of wisdom, Let it be. . . " And the times I ever felt my dreams were "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Thinking of when I decided to leave Canada and all the very many friends I had there. . ."don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. . . ."

It is amazing the connections one can make with songs. Even my own ( this is for the people who knew me with Watson and Reynolds) songs. . . You gave me my smile was written for a lover from way back with whom I have just reconnected (did you know that?) Look To Your Soul. . . who hasn't done some soul searching?

But back to the songs that everyone knows. . . when I am feeling energized and positive, I think. . "you can do magic, you can have anything that you desire. . ." and then for the days when I am scratching my head. . ."sometimes I wonder" (that's from "Mirth")

Music is life, life is lyrics. Pick any aspect and there is a song! I thank my Canadian friends who have inspired me and have reminded me of their friendship, that, along with the music, will never die!

No comments: