Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Cello: Coming of Age

There is a revolution afoot! The cello is finally coming to the forefront as the extremely versatile instrument it is! Finally, we cellists do not have to be satisfied with being lumped in with basses! We can sing out! We have a voice! No longer do we have to resign ourselves to the relentless bass lines of pieces like (dare I say it?) the Kanon!!! ACHHH!
Thanks to people like Yo Yo Ma and groups like Apocalyptica we are beginning to realize our full potential as front players, a position held for too long by violins! Many of us are venturing out to satisfy a need that has been quelched for far too long! We are IMPROVISING, we are cello arranging. We are playing all kinds of music!
I have started a group called La Cella Bella. We are a cello quartet. All women to boot! We are playing music for everyone and arranging it for cellos ONLY! It is a revolution! We can play ANYTHING!!! The most difficult part I face with my group is getting ALL the permissions and lisencing required. People should be honore that their music has been part of this revolution!!!
I am excited and I hope to have some music for all to hear soon! Takes time and money. Please feel free to make comments, suggestions, experiences, I'd love them all!
Thanks for listening!
Alison Reynolds

5 comments:

gottagopractice said...

Woo hoo!

Emily said...

Double Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

I really am excited for you! When passions are limited to the long held vision, it is so frustrating. Some things should change and stepping the cello section to the forefront seems a good move to make!

Can't wait until your music is available to us all!

Anonymous said...

And to think - it only took half a millenium!

Piccobow said...

Hello I hope that I can get some tips on bulding my blog called
allthingscello.blogspot.com
Piccobow